Figulus!

Yesterday while checking out the Hakaniemi Market Hall, I chanced upon this really cute shop named "Figulus". It's essentially an arts-and-craft supply store. 
Figulus--The Shop Front!
I was pleasantly surprised because I didn't expect a wholesale-and-retail store at all--with really affordable beads/craft! Usually, if I do find such stores in Korea, Japan or Singapore, the prices would be jacked up like crazy. But the prices here are really affordable, with a galore of vibrant designs and colours, and the whole collection is generally so cute!

 They have really cute felt beads like these.

 And true to the spirit of omotenashi--Gosh, they do sell really pretty hand-made wrapping papers too.

I could buy a lot of things in the shop, if not for the fact that I'm in the process of moving house.Had to pinch myself to control...

What I was most surprised by is that most of the beads are sourced naturally and ethically--that is to say, no plastic! I found this concept intriguing, because while being environmental-friendly, there is something very charming about the pieces of jewellery.

You see the middle spike like thing? It's actually a fruit, and some beads are made naturally from its seeds. Pretty cool right? I don't even know beads can be made like that!
Heehee I love the buttons. It'd be perfect for crafts and notebooks!


I LOVE THIS BEAD! It has random words on it in latin alphabets and is close to comic-style, so I term it a bead with such character. :-)

Figulus does sell hand-made jewellery, paintings, and ceramics too!
All of those are hand-made by the same family who started Figulus. Essentially, Figulus is a family business, and I love how they operate according to the philosophy of being ethical and supporting the livelihood of women. I am also awed by the fact that every bead or jewelry sold in the shop has its own history, charm and story. If you think about it, the existence of the craft itself has a story.

Anyway, do check Figulus out here! They have a webstore. And here's their facebook page. You can find their brick-and-motar shop at Hakaniemi Market Hall, Level 2. It's pretty close to Marimekko!

0 comments:

Copyright © June 2014. The Hieno Shops!